Today was the day. The first snow day of the year for the snow to be high enough to stick around for awhile. Shovels and snow blowers were out a plenty, conquering the flakes, and battling the continuous snow fall. In the meantime, every child’s eyes light up to see fun and adventure in the cold white stuff. It sets out a new playground for kids and ‘kids at heart’.
For many, a tradition on the First Snow Day is an important beginning. It officially sets the stage to the next exciting season of winter.
To celebrate the snow, here are a few ideas to get you started for inspiration:
- Make snow ice cream or snow candy.
- Make the first batch of ‘Snowman soup’ (hot cocoa with marshmallows).
- Bring out a snowman cookie jar to fill with the first batch of holiday cookies.
- Setting out a collection of snow globes marked for each year with date or crafting your own.
- Playing music with a snow theme. (It Snowed by Meaghan Smith, etc.)
- Simmer a pot of apple cider and gather friends and family around a fire.
Photography: Mira Stein